Thursday, October 30, 2008

Maine Day 3: Breakfast - Kingsleigh Inn B&B

Doesn't this look like dessert??


Breakfast on the last day was two courses again - all sweet this time. The inn alternates between sweet & savory breakfasts every other day - I'd have to say that when it's all sweet, it is serious sugar overload. And for those of you that know me, you know how much I love sweets. I love all things sweet: dessert, ice cream, cake, chocolate you name it. So if I'm sugared out, you know there was a lot going on.

To start, there was homemade granola and freshly baked muffins again. Sunday's muffins were Pumpkin and Blueberry. Pumpkin is Stan's favorite and there were only three left when we got downstairs so I quickly snatched two - one for him at the table, one for him to take on the road. Aren't I thoughtful?



Pears poached in red wine was the first course, banana stuffed french toast course two. I hate to be critical, but I've had better stuffed french toast. For example, the banana stuffed french toast at Public is significantly better than what we had. Rather than using one giant slice of brioche toast, dipping, frying and then stuffing in a little brioche pocket - I think here Dana made a little sandwich: two slices of brioche, cream cheese, chocolate & bananas in-between, and then pan-fries the whole thing. As a result, the toast is not really french toast through and through - the insides of the pieces of toast were not very french - and the cream cheese just makes it a bit heavy. But enough whining on my part, it was still beautiful to look at and pretty darn good.

I could not eat anymore sugar for a good 24 hours after that. We left for the airport shortly thereafter, only to arrive in NYC 1hr delayed, but met w/ gorgeous weather and sunshine. And in need of immediate detox and seriously craving some homemade chinese food.

No comments: