Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Maine Day 2: Dinner - Red Sky Restaurant



This may not look like much, but it is the yummiest crusty bread I've had for a really long time. And I use superlatives sparingly. Served super warm and freshly baked, with salted butter you could just eat and eat and eat it. Which is basically what I did.

After lunch we decided to go back to the National Park and explore some more. We walked on a "Nature Trail" around a pretty pond/lake - I think it was Jordan Pond. It was so nice to be outdoors - quiet, still, turning leaves - I wish we could go back. There were apple trees right around the pond and I picked one. At first Stanley wouldn't let me eat it bc he thought it would be poisonous. It was delicious.

For dinner we wanted to go to Town Hill Bistro, a small local restaurant in the neighboring West Eden Common in the Village of Town Hill (doesn't that sound convoluted?), but they were fully booked. Can you believe that? So instead we went to Red Sky, a restaurant right around the corner from our B&B that our innkeepers recommended and that we'd heard good things about in a "New Yorker's Guide To Bar Harbor." It was so yum. We had delicious wines to match, and the service was great.

Wine:
White - Honig Sauvignon Blanc - Napa Valley, CA
Red - Chateau Montelena Zinfandel - Calistoga, CA


Stan and I shared Maine Peekytoe Crabcakes, and the 1 ½ lb. Lobster, shucked and sautéed with zucchini and served over mushroom risotto or something like that. They bake their bread in house, serve local fare, and have a phenomenal (and phenomenally priced) wine list. We also had Roasted Quail with quinoa crust and cranberry sauce to start, but my pictures were so abysmal I deleted them.


Oh, and of course I had dessert. We ordered "James’ Gingerbread" (which bizarrely looks like meat in the picture below) served toasted with caramel sauce and cream cheese whipped cream spiked with apple brandy. I don't know who James is, but it was delicious, huge, and perfectly toasted and spiced. And of course I had to try Mt. Desert Island ice cream.



See our friendly, yet slightly bizarre, waiter.

1 comment:

Stan Hsing said...

best bread of all time - bboat