Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Healthy Sage & Honey Cornbread

I want to make this next. I was always under the impression that cornbread was chock full 'o butter. But I found this recipe that looks delicious, easy to make and healthy. I've started using King Arthur Flour's White Whole Wheat Flour for backing, which I love, and is lighter than normal whole wheat flour - so I will use that instead of all purpose flour.

Healthy Cornbread
Adapted from Bon Appetit, November 2007

butter for greasing pan
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chopped fresh sage
1/2 cup honey
3 tbsp butter, melted & cooled
1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream + milk to make 1 cup total
1 egg, beaten lightly

Preheat oven to 425°. Butter a 8″ square pan. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure baking powder is evenly distributed. In a large measuring cup, add yogurt or sour cream and milk to make 1 cup total. Add egg, honey and butter, mix wet ingredients together. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until just moistened, do not overmix. Pour into prepared pan, even the top slightly, and bake for about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Purplejong said...

I want to try your cornbread! :)